Ten Commandments for a Loving, Responsible Pet Owner...
The voice of a dog if he/she is able to talk :
1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. YOU HAVE YOUR WORK, YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR ENTERTAINMENTS. BUT I HAVE ONLY YOU.
5. Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, and yet I choose not to bite you.
7. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long or my heart might be getting old or weak.
8. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old.
9. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can’t bear to watch.
10. Don’t make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so !
Human food that are harmful for your dogs:
1. Onions (Both onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient Thiosulphate. But onions are more of a danger. Many dog biscuits contain *small* amounts of garlic – garlic contains less of this toxin so huge amounts would need to be consumed to be toxic. And, by the way, this poison builds up the system – it can be toxic in one large dose – or with repeated consumption of small amounts.)
2. Chocolate (Chocolate contains Theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. This can be fatal to dogs.)
3. Grapes (Grapes are dangerous because of an unknown substance which is toxic to dogs – affects canine’s kidneys)
4. Raisins (See above.)
5. Most Fruit Pits and Seeds (Contain Cyanogenic Glycosides resulting in cyanide poisoning – though the fruit itself is OK.)
6. Macadamia Nuts (Macadamia nuts contain an unknown substance that is toxic to dogs.)
7. Bones (Most bones should *not* be given (especially chicken bones) because they can splinter and cause laceration of the digestive system and/or become lodged in your pet’s throat – so they also pose a choking hazard.)
8. Potato Peelings and Green Potatoes (Contain Oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.)
9. Rhubarb leaves (See above.)
10. Broccoli (Broccoli is only toxic in large quantities.)
11. Green parts of Tomatoes or Green Potatoes (Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.)
12. Yeast Dough (Yeast Dough can produce gas and swell in your pet’s stomach – leading to rupture of the digestive system)
13. Coffee, Coffee Grounds, Tea, Soft Drinks (Coffee, tea, & most soft drinks are dangerous due to the caffeine.)
14. Beer/Wine/Alcohol of any kind (Alcohol of any kind could lead to coma or even death.)
15. Human Vitamins (Human vitamins, especially those containing iron, can cause damage to the lining of the digestive system as well as cause kidney and liver damage)
16. Moldy or Spoiled Food (I think this goes without saying.)
17. Persimmons (Persimmons can cause intestinal blockage)
18. Raw Eggs and Raw Fish (Raw eggs and some raw fish can cause Salmonella poisoning.)
19. Salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder (In large amounts these can cause an electrolyte imbalance – and severe electrolyte imbalances can lead to muscle spasm or even congestive heart failure.)
20. Mushrooms (Mushrooms may contain toxins which could cause liver and kidney damage)
21. Sugar-Free Foods (Sugar-free foods containing Xylitol have been found to cause liver failure in some dogs.)
22. Nutmeg (Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures, and central nervous system damage.)
23. Excessive Fatty Foods (Excess fatty foods can cause Pancreatitis.)
24. Avocado (All parts of the avocado and avocado tree are toxic to dogs.)
25. Diary Products (Dairy products don’t usually pose a great danger; but many dairy product have high fat content (see number 23) – and many pets are lactose intolerant – some pets more than others. Lactose intolerance leads to gas and diarrhea; though small amounts of yogurt and cheese are usually fairly well tolerated.)
What is Back Yard Breeder ?
If you happen to come across some people who possess the characteristics of always asking people to mate dogs, probably s/he just a BYB !
Oops, sound familiar to me !
(excerpt from a website - http://www.dogpeople.org/PuppyMill.htm
These are individual people who breed their dogs and bitches for money or FOR HOBBY. They are NOT dog experts. They do not know how healthy their dogs are and how well they conform to the breed standards. These are ignorant people but pretend to be knowledgeable.
Many of these "backyard" breeders advertise their puppies through the newspaper classified ads. Some even post their advertisements in stores and supermarkets. Some supply to questionable pet shops. Many also try to sell their puppies through word of mouth. You should beware of acquaintances suddenly telling you so and so who is their "friend" coincidentally has puppies for sale.
If you buy from them, there is a high chance your dog is not free from genetic defects and is not a purebred as they claim.
It can be difficult to differentiate "backyard" breeders from good reputable breeders. Hence, it is very important to find out yourself.
If you were approached by some stranger who asked you to mate your dog with theirs, just tell it into their face: "Sorry, I am not a pimp!".
Updated on 25 May :
I am currently interested in adopting any puppy (any breed also fine) with 2 criterion below :-
1. Size (about the size of standard German Shepherd or at least a standard Golden R size) - can estimate the size from the puppy's parents
(Preferably when fully grown - Weight ~35kg, Height ~60 cm)
2. Good Guard dog - can't predict frm the puppy but could be predicted from the parents.
I'm willing to make donations/pay for this dog if you have. Please let me knw.
Thank you !