Hello, this is my precious little baby turtle. He's a Red Eared Slider. I think he's a boy cos he has long nails and tail. I got him at a random stall selling plants, he was kept in a small plastic cup with almost no water. (Turtles need a lot of water!) He was struggling and kept banging the cup and so I just couldn't leave him there. However he has been growing quite a bit and I wont be able to keep him in his aquarium tank at my small condo unit for a long time, he can live up to 40 years!
I'm would like to give him to someone who would be able to adequately provide for him and preferably has had experience with other turtles or reptiles. The following is what you will need to keep a pet turtle in good health:
1) Fifty to hundred litres capacity aquarium / outdoor pond.
2) UVA and UVB lights (we don't have the right kind of UVB bulbs in Malaysia, will need to get it from SG) /Natural sunlight if outdoor pond
3) For food, he just need pellets, veges and occasionally some mealworms/shrimps and fruits.
4) You can contract Salmonella from turtles as they are reptiles, so its important to always wash your hands after handling them or their aquariums. Also important that you are extra careful if you have young children.
5) Red Ear Sliders live between 30 to 40 years in captivity,please only adopt a turtle if you are ready to make that commitment.