Go

Food for Us, Death for Them

 


In the blink of an eye, the festivities will be coming up upon us, where everyone will be rejoicing in the holiday mood with feasts galore and hopping out and about around town. With visiting relatives both young and old, its important for us to be mindful and be aware of what our beloved furkids are being fed or if they manage to steal scraps off the dining table!

The food listed here is not foreign and can be easily found in any household. It is not something new either and as responsible owners, youve probably come across one or all before. Just be conscious and aware of whats food for humans can very well be toxic and fatal to our beloved furkids if consumed. We dont want an emergency trip to the vet hospital in the middle of a feast now do we?

Avocado

Avocados contain a substance called persin. Its harmless for humans who arent allergic. But large amounts might be toxic to dogs. If you happen to be growing avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seeds, bark, as well as in the fruit.

Alcohol

Beer, liquor, wine, foods containing alcohol none of it is good for your dog. Thats because alcohol has the same effect on a dogs liver and brain that it has on humans, and it takes far less to do the most damage. Just a little can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, problems with coordination, difficulty in breathing, coma, liver failure and even death. The smaller the dog, the greater the effect. Lets not take it as a joke by feeding our furkids any alcohol just to see them drunk. They are already drunk in love with you and thats the best thing ever!

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic in all forms powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated can destroy a dogs red blood cells, leading to anemia. That can happen even with the onion powder found in some baby food. An occasional small dose of no more than a teaspoon depending on size is probably OK. But just eating a large quantity once or eating smaller amounts regularly can cause poisoning. Symptoms of anemia include weakness, vomiting, little interest in food, dullness, and breathlessness which can prove to be fatal

Coffee, Tea, and other Caffeine

Caffeine in large enough quantities can be fatal for a dog. And, there is no antidote. Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, fits, and bleeding. In addition to tea and coffee including beans and grounds caffeine can be found in cocoa, chocolate, colas, and stimulant drinks such as Red Bull. Its also in some cold medicines and pain killers.

Grapes and Raisins

Although it isnt clear why, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog ill. Repeated vomiting is an early sign. Within a day, the dog will become lethargic and depressed. The best prevention is to keep grapes and raisins off counters and other places your dog can reach. Its also good to teach children not to feed your dog with food unless in your presence and after youve ok it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Milk and Other Dairy Products

Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upset as well as set up food allergies (which often manifest as itchiness). Most dogs are lactose intolerant and a pup with an upset stomach isnt going to be very popular with your guests.

Macadamia Nuts

Dogs should not eat macadamia nuts or foods containing macadamia nuts because they can be fatal. As few as six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog ill. Symptoms of poisoning include muscle tremors, weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters, vomiting, elevated body temperature, and rapid heart rate. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worst and the ill effects faster, possibly leading to death.

Candy and Gum

Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with Xylitol. Xylitol can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your dogs body which causes your dogs blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure. Initial symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination. Eventually, the dog may have seizures. Liver failure can occur within just a few days.

Chocolate

The toxic agent in chocolate is theobromine. Its in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous kinds, though, are dark chocolate, chocolate mulch, and unsweetened baking chocolate. Eating chocolate, even just licking the icing bowl, can cause a dog to vomit, have diarrhea, and be excessively thirsty. It can also cause abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and death.

Fat Trimmings and Bones

Table scraps often contain meat fat that a human didnt eat and bones. Both are dangerous for dogs. Fat trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, can cause pancreatitis in dogs. And, although it seems natural to give a dog a bone, a dog can choke on it. Bone splinters have sharp edges and can cause an obstruction or lacerations of your dogs digestive system from the throat all the way to the colon. Its best to just forget about feeding your dog with these. If you dont eat it, why give it to your dog?

Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums

The problem with these fruits is the seeds or pits. The seeds from persimmons can cause inflammation of the small intestine in dogs. They can also cause intestinal obstruction. Obstruction is also a possibility if a dog eats the pit from a peach or plum. Plus, peach and plum pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to both humans and dogs. The difference is humans know not to eat them. Dogs dont.

Raw Eggs

There are two problems with giving your dog raw eggs. The first is the possibility of food poisoning from bacteria like Salmonella or E. coli. The second is that an enzyme in raw eggs interferes with the absorption of a particular B vitamin. This can cause skin problems as well as problems with your dogs coat if raw eggs are fed for a long time.

Salt

Its not a good idea to share salty foods like chips or pretzels with your dog. Eating too much salt can cause excessive thirst and urination and lead to sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms of too much salt include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, and seizures. It may even cause death.

Sugary Foods and Drinks

Too much sugar can do the same thing to dogs that it does to humans. It can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly the onset of diabetes. With an overweight dog, it will take a huge toll on its liver, kidneys and heart to process all the sugary food and your dogs joints will also suffer with the need to carry on the extra weight your dog puts on.

Yeast Dough

Before its baked, bread dough needs to rise. And, thats exactly what it would do in your dogs stomach if your dog ate it. As it swells inside, the dough can stretch the dogs abdomen and cause severe pain. In addition, when the yeast ferments the dough to make it rise, it produces alcohol that can lead to alcohol poisoning. Keep your dog out of the kitchen when you bake is the best way to avoid any accidents.

Your Medicine

Reaction to a drug commonly prescribed for humans is the most common cause of poisoning in dogs. Just as you would do for your children, keep all medicines out of your dogs reach. And, never give your dog any over-the-counter medicine unless told to do so by your vet. Ingredients such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen are common in pain relievers and cold medicine. And, they can be deadly for your dog. Your medicine is prescribed to you and only you for a reason. It wasnt prescribed to your dog so dont feed him any. Keep it high and out of reach.

These are all common things found in any of our household, if you cant remember it all, no matter! You can print it out and stick it on you fridge like what I do! With the festivities coming up, a word of advice, find out the nearest emergency vet hospital and your vets emergency contact details should you need it which I strongly hope you dont! Leaving you here til next time, happy holidays, be safe and stay safe!

 

avatar

Kopi & TehC Wong

I'm Kopi, a little miniature schnauzer tall in stature big in heart but mum always call me a whining old man. I have a battery-pack of energy powered by love wifey, her name is TehC. We're both named at the time when mum was obviously drunk on mamak drinks! We're also on first name basis at the vet's given our names are so easy to remember. psstt... easy to remember, easy to scold too! :S We love to travel and we've been to Penang, Melaka, Port Dickson, Kuantan and even Langkawi for holidays! Our weekend schedule is always packed and we're busy bees with school and all sorts of activities with our friends! BBQ, hikes, sleepovers, day trips, volunteer work, just about anything! Not just that we are always out and about going to eateries with our mum and great grandma, grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins too! Phhewww... only when mum's at work do we get to rest :)

More Articles

Follow Me:Facebook



Facebook Comments


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Copyright © 2008 - 2020, PetFinder.my. All rights reserved.